Monday, April 11, 2011

4.11.11 - Interacting with Objects

...Sort of.
Going way out of my comfort zone yet again here. I drew a ghetto chair. Please don't laugh at it ):
I just wanted to try a pose of someone sitting on something, instead of just hanging out in mid air or some other nonsense. I am so horrible with scenery and objects and... just about everything.
But I'm trying x_x

Also my scanner is really bad... I hatched the chair so that you can tell what's the model and what's the chair, but it's a bit difficult to see on this scan. I need to learn to draw heavier... I edited this in GIMP to make the lines as dark as possible, but it's still really light in some areas, as you can see. I apologize for that ):
Fixed up a few spots, and tried my best to make the lines heavier.

Also, the negative spaces don't match up quite as well as I hoped they would [thanks to Miri for that tip!], but ugh. Other than it being a little wonky, especially compared to the reference, I'm pretty damn happy with it.
That right leg took forever.
Reference:

3 comments:

  1. I think you're making pretty good progress hun. ^^ Don't worry so much about the chair, I don't think it looks bad it's just there and that's all you can say about it for now. ^^

    Also I know you're using references and that's great! Everyone has done it one time or another whether they admit to it or not. However I think the waist to the bust is a little long. And the arm seems to look kind of like a weird hanging on thing...? I'm not sure if that makes sense for you, I guess the width/muscle on it just doesn't seem right to me.

    Keep practicing and using references until you're comfortable enough to try doing things on your own! ^^ I still use references from time to time. To get clothing ideas, pose ideas and whatnot. So NO SHAME!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!
    I'm just trying to study anatomy this way, with poses and references. I think that for the most part, I have basic anatomy down pretty well.
    I can spot when something looks off in my own work.
    I like working with poses, because it forces me to see how the body forms the poses, and looks at different angles.

    when I'm more comfortable [and get a new tablet <<;] I plan to go in and make up my own poses to turn into CG pieces like I used to do all the time. I kind of want to try CG painting, more like what Kwidda does. I've always admired work like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, using references are really nice for that reason. c:

    More like Kwidda's art..? Oh wow that's ambitious! I could never color like that, mainly because I don't have more of a realistic art style so I can't make it work for me. I've tried many different approaches to coloring and other things but I can't bring myself to do that. I dunno I guess I'm just not good enough? xD

    ReplyDelete