Sunday, May 8, 2011

Commission Rant

No time for real artwork lately. Just some silly chibis to help me relax. They're fun to draw, don't hate.
In place of art, I give you a rant.


So, you're selling prints of a commission you did of fan art.


I cannot wrap my head around this.


There's this girl who's fan art always graces the front page of DA. She recreates scenes from Disney & Studio Ghibli movies, nearly line for line, and sells prints of them. Okay, whatever, a lot of people do that I guess.


But today, while clicking through the front page [as I usually do when I'm bored], I noticed some Howl's fanart she did. She mentions that it was a commission, then in bold and underlined eye catching text, she says to buy a print of it on another site. For about $17. She was already paid to draw the damn thing.
And I'm sorry, but if I ordered art from someone, I would not be okay with someone else being able to buy a copy of my commission for a fraction of the price. What the hell?

/rant

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree! What's with that! I'd probably write a well-worded post telling people not to buy work from her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure it's technically illegal to sell fan art at all.
    I remember reading a discussion about it a while ago.

    A lot of people do it though, so I usually just ignore it even though it bothers me.
    But this... Eh. Milking the system much? =/

    ReplyDelete